Green bean casserole, a side-dish stalwart of the Thanksgiving table since the 1950s and still going strong today, is often billed as 'the ultimate comfort food'.
Making green bean casserole is about as easy and rewarding as it gets when it comes to a hug from within. Think tender green beans tossed in a delicate creamy sauce, baked to perfection with a golden cheese and crispy onion topping, and served alongside a succulent turkey.
Keep your recipe store-cupboard simple and stick to the original 1950s invention, using cooked green beans, tinned cream of mushroom soup, and french fried onions, or, try making green your bean casserole from scratch. If you really want to make the flavours sing, make a deep and flavoursome mushroom soup married with freshly blanched green beans, topped off with home-fried onions.
Learn how to make green bean casserole, as you like it, in our round-up of essential recipes, from the store-cupboard essentials, to making in from the raw materials.
Green Bean Casserole Recipes
Campbell's Green Bean Casserole
Go retro with the Campbell's Green Bean Casserole recipe, originally created by Dorcas Reilly at the Campbell Soup Company in 1955.
Ingredients for Campbell's Green Bean Casserole:
- 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) Campbell’s® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup or 98% Fat Free Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 4 cups cooked cut green beans
- 1 1/3 cups French's® French Fried Onions
How to make Campbell's Green Bean Casserole
1. Combine the mushroom soup, milk, soy sauce, beans and half the onions in a 1 1/2-quart casserole. Season with salt and pepper and bake in a pre-heated oven at 350°F for 25 minutes, or until hot.
2. Then, stir the bean mixture, sprinkle the remaining onions over the top, and bake for a further five minutes until the onions are golden.
Watch how simple it is in the video recipe below:
French's Green Bean Casserole
Still on the retro theme, French's recipe turns all of those tinned ingredients into a one-stop recipe comfort dish.
Ingredients for French's Green Bean Casserole
- 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cans (14 1/2 ounces each) Green Beans, drained
- 1 1/3 cups French's® Original Crispy Fried Onions, divided
How to make French's Green Bean Casserole
1. Mix the mushroom soup, milk and pepper in a 1 1/2-quart baking dish, then stir in green beans and 2/3 cup crispy fried onions, and bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for 30 minutes, or until hot.
2. Stir and top with remaining onions and bake for a further five minutes until onions are golden.
Watch how it's done in the simple video recipe below:
Alton Brown takes green bean casserole to fresh new heights in his take on this American classic, using blanched green beans and homemade mushroom sauce topped off with heaps of crispy fried onions.
Babish's Green Bean Casserole
As usual, Babish gets back to basics and brings out the best in this classic dish with a creamy homemade sauce to transport the beans to another level.
Tasty's Ultimate Green Bean Casserole
Again, ditch the canned soup and replace it with a homemade cream sauce to take your bean casserole up a level in this simple recipe from the team at Tasty.