Have you been longing to indulge in a mint julep? The signature drink of the Kentucky Derby is a simple recipe consisting of four ingredients. You'll love the ease of preparation and its refreshing taste.
What do I need to make a mint julep?
These are the ingredients you'll need to make a mint julep:
- 1 tbsp powdered sugar
- 5 fresh mint leaves
- 2 oz. (6 cl) bourbon whiskey
How to mix a mint julep
1. Place the powdered sugar and mint leaves into a rocks glass or julep cup.
2. Lightly muddle the mint leaves and the sugar (you don't want to crush the leaves, the idea is to allow them to release their flavour).
3. Add the whiskey and fill the glass with ice. Serve with a short straw.
Video: Mint julep drink recipe
Need to see the mint julep drink recipe in action? Check out these tips from cocktail expert Tom Macy:
How to garnish a mint julep
There’s no need to overcomplicate things – all you need is a sprig of mint. Just make sure to roll it gently between your fingertips first to release the aromatic oils.
How to drink a mint julep
Stick with the Southern theme and serve with some traditional appetisers such as pimiento cheese dip, devilled eggs or pickled shrimp.
Variations on a mint julep
- Turn your mint julep into a jelly shot for a fun twist.
- Switch up your ingredients by adding ginger or white peach. You could even swap the whisky for gin to make a summer cooler.
If your mint julep has sparked a craving for more whisky-based cocktails then look no further than these 25 recipe ideas.
This article was updated on 15/03/2023.