Simnel Cake recipe
22 January, 2019
Candied Lemon Zest
50 gr, chopped
4 tablespoons, warmed
For the cake
- Preheat the oven to 150°C (130° fan) | 300F | gas.
- Grease and line an 18 cm | 7" round cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Cut the marzipan into 1 cm | 0.5" cubes.
- Toss in a bowl with 2 tablespoons of flour.
- Sift the remaining flour into a large mixing bowl along with the baking powder and mixed spice.
- Add the butter, sugar, and eggs, beating thoroughly with an electric mixer until smooth, 3-4 minutes.
- Gently fold in the currants, sultanas, cherries, candied peel, ground almonds, milk, and citrus zest.
- Add the floured marzipan cubes and stir to incorporate thoroughly.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared cake tin.
- Cut out two 18 cm | 7" wide rounds of greaseproof paper, stack them on top of each other, and cut out a small 2.5 cm | 1" circle in the centre.
- Place the paper on top of the batter.
- Bake the cake for about 2.5-3 hours until risen and dry to the touch on top; a cake tester should come out clean from the centre.
- Remove the cake to a wire rack to cool. 9 Once cool, turn out from the tin.
- Horizontally cut in half with a serrated knife.
- Sit the bottom half on a cake stand.
- Divide the marzipan into three even pieces.
- Roll out two pieces on a work surface dusted with icing sugar into 20 cm | 8" rounds that are about 1 cm | 0.5" thick.
- Brush the top of the cake on the stand with some of the warmed apricot jam.
- Drape one marzipan round on top, pressing down gently to adhere.
- Cut away any overhanging marzipan with a serrated knife.
- Brush the top of the marzipan with more apricot jam before positioning the other cake half on top, pressing down gently to adhere.
- Brush the top of the cake with more apricot jam before draping the second marzipan round on top, smoothing it flat with your hand.
- Scallop the edges of the marzipan between your fingers and thumbs.
- Divide the remaining marzipan into 11 even pieces, rolling them into balls between your palms.
- Attach the marzipan balls to the top of the cake with a little apricot jam or water.
- Brown their tops with a chef's blowtorch; alternatively, you can brown them on a grilling tray under a hot grill.
- If desired, tie yellow decorative ribbon around the middle of the cake.
- Garnish with Easter flowers before serving.
Flan by Don Julio
This delicious flan comes direct from Don Julio in Buenos Aires, Argentina, the number one restaurant by Latin America's 50 Best Restaurants 2020.