For the Fairy Cakes:
1. Heat the oven to 190°C (170° fan) 375°F gas 5. Place paper cases in 24 bun tins.
2. Put all the cake ingredients in a large bowl and beat until smooth.
3. Spoon the mixture into the paper cases and bake for 12-15 minutes, until risen and golden. Cool on a wire rack.
For the topping:
1. Heat the water and sugar in a pan, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
2. Add the clementine slices and simmer gently, turning them over after 20 minutes. Simmer for 35-45 minutes, or until the peel on the slices starts to become translucent. Add the pecan nuts for the last 5 minutes.
3. Place a clementine slice on top of each cake and scatter with pecan nuts. Leave to cool.