Renowned one-Michelin-star restaurant, The Star Inn at Harome, has been reduced to ashes after fire ravaged the 14th-century thatched inn.
The North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service was called to the property just after 10pm on 24 November, to battle a blaze that gutted the restaurant and destroyed its famous thatched roof.
Chef patron Andrew Pern tweeted: "It’s been a long night so far… I’m afraid we won’t be open for a while as we are reduced to ashes with The Star on fire and still burning, residents please call after 9 am."
At its peak, nine fire engines were deployed to fight the blaze, however, they were unable to prevent the fire from spreading and engulfing the restaurant, leaving it without a roof.
The much-loved pub was the second in the UK to be awarded a Michelin-star, with the guide describing the establishment: “This 14C thatched building oozes character with its low beamed ceilings and fires burning in the grates. While the restaurant side has a plush, luxurious feel, it’s still very much the village local and you’ll find the regulars supping on a pint of bespoke ‘Two Chefs’ beer in the characterful bar.”
Local people and business have sent messages of support to the team at The Star Inn at Harome, particularly to chef Pern, who now faces the task of picking up the pieces and rebuilding a landmark historical restaurant.