Le Chef magazine is back with their newly launched list of the 100 of The Best Chefs in the World, a survey that is created by asking two and three-starred Michelin starred chefs to provide a list of five names they think best represent the cooking profession and which one they would like to see at the top of the list.
Number one of the list for 2016 is Michel Bras, followed by Pierre Gagnaire in second position and Seji Yamamoto from Japan in third. Of the top 10 on the list, six of the chefs are from France.
Heading further down the list into the top 50 the list includes Rene Redzepi in Denmark, Andoni Luis Aduriz in Spain and the British chef Heston Blumenthal. Daniel Humm and Thomas Keller are both there for state-side representation but they have both slipped out of the top 10 ranking from 2015.
One of the major notable absences is that no Latin American restaurants are featured with Peru, Chile and Mexico - places with many exciting, innovative chefs and growing gastronomic scenes - totally missing.
Le Chef launched the list in 2015 with Paul Bocuse taking the top spot. The results have come under some criticism for being largely dominated by French names and for the fact that no one knows exactly who the 528 Michelin starred chef voters are or where in the world they are from. Thirty eight of the 100 chefs on the list for 2016 are French while the next closest country is Japan with 11 chefs, followed by the U.S with nine.
Below is the top 10 list of Best Chefs in the World according to Le Chef magazine.
1. Michel BRAS, Le Suquet — Laguiole, France
2. Pierre GAGNAIRE, Restaurant Pierre Gagnaire — Paris, France
3. Seiji YAMAMOTO, Nihonryori Ryugin — Tokyo, Japon
4. Alain DUCASSE, Louis XV Alain Ducasse — Monaco
5. Pascal BARBOT, L’Astrance — Paris, France
6. Eric FRECHON, Epicure — Paris, France
7. Emmanuel RENAUT, Flocons de Sel, Megève, France
8. Martin BERASATEGUI, Restaurant Martin Berasategui — Lasarte Oria, Spain
9. Benoît VIOLIER, Hôtel de Ville — Crissier, Switzerland
10. Joan ROCA, El Celler de Can Roca — Girona, Spain
Here is the full list: