If the outdoor temperature is beginning to rise where you are, you've probably already had your first ice cream cravings, but instead of dipping into a supermarket freezer, know that making ice cream at home can be much easier than you might think.
Good homemade ice cream can be made with or without using an ice cream maker and, if you want the treat but at less detriment to your waistline, we've got some top tips, techniques and recipes for making ice cream without cream.
From a sweet frozen treat with yoghurt to sweet potatoes or bananas, here's how to make homemade ice cream without cream.
HOW TO MAKE ICE CREAM WITHOUT CREAM
To make ice cream without cream with or without an ice cream maker you'll need the following:
- 500 ml of milk
- 5 tablespoons of sugar
- Vanilla essence (or vanillin)
Fill some glass jars three-quarters full with milk and let them rest in the freezer for a couple of hours if using an ice cream maker, about 4 hours otherwise.
Using an ice cream maker
- Take the glasses out of the freezer and leave them on the side for half an hour
- Break up the ice with a fork and let it soften for an hour
- Pour the contents of the glasses into the ice cream maker with the sugar and the vanilla essence
- Mix and operate the machine for about 20 minutes (timing may vary depending on the model)
Without using an ice cream maker
- Leave the contents of the previously frozen glasses out for about half an hour
- Pour it into a blender
- Add the sugar and the essence, then stir
- Operate the appliance for a maximum of two minutes, until creamy
And hey presto, you have a 'fior di latte' ice cream without cream, a blank canvas to which you can add your own flavourings or fruit, like strawberries, as desired.
Ice Cream Made with yoghurt
If the simple recipe above is too simple, you can prepare a good ice cream without cream, using yogurt instead.
To do this:
- Whisk an egg white
- Mix 500g of low-fat plain yoghurt with a couple of tablespoons of honey, then incorporate the whipped egg white, a little at a time.
- Transfer everything to the ice cream maker. When the yoghurt ice cream is compact and creamy, transfer it to the freezer and let it rest for at least an hour.
- If you want to make chocolate ice cream without cream, before operating the ice cream maker, add two tablespoons of cocoa powder and some dark chocolate flakes to the mix.
This recipe also lends itself to carrying other flavours, so let your creativity run wild.
Best Ever Vegan Ice Cream
This vegan recipe gets great results and it's all about the cashew nuts. Here's the whole recipe for the best ever vegan ice cream.
Dairy-Free Sweet Potato Ice cream
If instead, you want to avoid dairy altogether in your ice cream making, you can go 100% vegan and gluten-free easily at home with this sweet potato ice cream recipe. Cooked and frozen sweet potato is blended together with some very simple ingredients and topped off with berries. No milk, cream or eggs required.
Banana Ice Cream
First up is the easiest kitchen hack to make ice cream at home. Frozen bananas are chopped and liquified with a drop of milk as required,before cocoa powder is added, more milk and then blended until all incorporated. Place in a bowl, cover with wrap touching the surface and freeze.
CREAMY CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM RECIPE WITHOUT CREAM & EGG – NO FLOUR & CORN FLOUR – NO CONDENSED MILK
This method uses no egg or cream but milk and yoghurt goes through a few changes, including one that looks like cottage cheese, but stick with it, the resulting chocolate ice cream looks like it's worth it.
Homemade Coconut Ice Cream
Rosemarie Wilson has been making ice cream for over 20 years. Watch as she teaches how to make this easy homemade coconut ice cream. All you need is sugar, a mixture of corn starch and custard powder, milk, coconut milk and some flavouring. You will, however, need an ice cream maker for this one.
No Churn Dairy Free Chocolate Sesame Swirl Ice Cream
Back to the magic of bananas again in this recipe, which yields a velvety-smooth chocolate ice cream. Find out how in the simple video above.