Growing store-bought ginger at home is particularly easy but there is a catch:
The good news is growing ginger doesn't require a green thumb as the ginger plant does not need great care.
The bad news is that to harvest ginger you'll need to wait at least five or six months, perhaps almost a year, to harvest ginger. So you'll have to exercise patience.
How to Grow Ginger Indoors
Before diving into growing ginger at home you should know the following:
- The best time to grow ginger is from late winter to early spring.
- In order to grow ginger you'll need rhizomes (which is the technical term for the roots), preferably organic.
- Ginger loves heat so it's a good idea to grow it in a pot so you can easily store it inside your home during the winter to avoid frost.
- While ginger is no friend of stagnated water it still needs to be watered often so you'll need a pot with good drainage.
How To Grow Ginger At Home: Step by Step
- Get yourself a large vessel for your ginger seedling, making sure it is at least 30 cm (12 inches) in diameter or greater.
- As we mentioned before, ginger is no fan of stagnant water, so you'll need good drainage. To promote good drainage place pebbles or small stones at the bottom of the planter.
- Add the potting soil to the pot.
- Place the ginger towards the top of the soil.
- If you'd like to plant several ginger roots together ensure they are at least 20 cm (8 inches) apart. Make sure the 'eyes' or 'buds' of the ginger are all facing upwards.
- Cover the ginger roots with soil.
- Water the pot with abundant water. The soil should remain humid at all times.
- As the ginger plant grows be sure to cover any exposed roots with soil, this will help the plant grow deeper roots.
- Pay special attention to sunlight: ginger loves only early morning light and prefers bright but shady areas the rest of the day.
- Now just wait for your ginger seedling to grow. Here's how it will look when the rhizome is ready:
Need to see it in action? Here is a video that shows you how to grow ginger at home two ways: