How to make fried dumplings, Chinese New Year recipe
How to prepare deep-fried dumplings in five easy steps:
- To prepare deep-fried dumplings, start mixing the flour with approximately 150 ml water, knead to a dough and leave to stand for half an hour. Finely chop the spring onions.
- Mix with the mince, ginger and sesame oil and season to taste with salt. Divide the dough into 4 portions.
- Roll each portion out thinly to a rectangle and cut the rectangles into squares (approx. 7x7 cm).
- Put about 1 tsp of filling in the middle of each square and fold the dough over it to make a triangle. Press the edges together firmly.
- Heat the oil and deep fry the filled dumplings, a few at a time, for 2-3 minutes, until golden brown.
Once you’ve mastered these New Year deep-fried dumplings, you might get a taste for other kinds of Asian dumpling. Xiaolongbao or soup-filled dumplings are challenging to make and tricky to eat, but it’s worth persevering as they can be filled with all sorts or meat or seafood before being served in a savoury broth. Across the East China Sea in Japan, gyoza are crispy on the outside and packed with flavour on the inside. Try this recipe for beef gyoza spiced with coriander and chilli.