Zuccardi Valle de Uco, located at the foot of the Andes in the Mendoza region, was awarded gold for the stunning architectural design of the wine complex complete with incredible views of the vineyards and mountains and terroir driven wines from wine maker Sabastian Zuccardi. Guests are treated to vineyard tours and wine tastings and the opportunity to dine at the vineyard's restaurant Piedra Infinita Cocina, with a four-course seasonal menu matched with wines.
South American wineries boast half of the top ten places with other Argentinean producer, two from Chile and one from Uruguay. Europe also shows a strong presence with Spain, Portugal and Germany all represented in the top ten.
WHAT IS THE WORLD'S 50 BEST VINEYARDS?
The World's Best Vineyards is a new award and comes from the same organisers as the prestigious World's 50 Best Restaurants and World's 50 Best Bars awards.
The award is managed by an Academy of nearly 500 leading wine aficionados, sommeliers, and luxury travel correspondents from across the globe, divided into geographical regions who nominate their seven top vineyard experiences.
What is the judging criteria?
There's no preset list of requirements but the Academy look beyond the wines at the "whole experience" including the "restaurant, tour, ambiance, staff, the view, the price, reputation, accessibility, everything that makes a vineyard visit a valuable and rewarding experience for visitors."
See the list of the World's 50 Best Vineyards below and click here for more details.
THE WORLD'S 50 BEST VINEYARDS
- Zuccardi Valle de Uco, Argentina (continent winner - South America)
- Bodega Garzón, Uruguay
- R. López de Heredia Viña Tondonia, S.A, Spain (continent winner - Europe)
- Quinta do Crasto, Portugal
- Catena Zapata, Argentina
- Montes, Chile
- Clos Apalta Winery, Chile
- Rippon, New Zealand (continent winner - Australasia)
- Marqués de Riscal, Spain
- Weingut Dr. Loosen, Germany
- Craggy Range, New Zealand
- Robert Mondavi Winery, USA (continent winner - North America)
- Penfolds Magill Estate, Australia
- Viña VIK, Chile
- Weingut Tement, Austria
- Château Smith Haut Lafitte, France
- Viña Errázuriz, Chile
- Antinori nel Chianti Classico, Italy
- Opus One Winery, USA
- Domäne Wachau eGen, Austria
- Schloss Johannisberg, Germany
- Château Margaux, France
- Viu Manent SA, Chile
- Vivanco. Bodega, Fundación, Experiencias, Spain
- Bodega Colomé, Argentina
- Viña Santa Rita, Chile
- Bodegas Salentein, Argentina
- Familia Torres - Pacs del Penedès, Spain
- d'Arenberg, Australia
- Viña Casas del Bosque, Austria
- Schloss Gobelsburg, Chile
- Bodegas RE, Chile
- Schloss Vollrads, Germany
- Vergelegen Estate, South Africa (continent winner - Africa)
- Domaine Sigalas, Greece
- Ridgeview, UK
- Quinta do Bomfim, Portugal
- Veuve Clicquot, France
- Delaire Graff Estate, South Africa
- Château Mouton Rothschild, France
- El Enemigo Wines, Argentina
- E.Guigal, France
- Domaine Henri Bourgeois, France
- Bodega Bouza, Uruguay
- Creation Wines, South Africa
- Ruinart, France
- Seppeltsfield Barossa, Australia
- Kir-Yianni, Greece
- Château Heritage, Lebanon (continent winner - Asia)
- Mission Hill Family Estate, Canada
Top Image: Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.0 Generic (CC BY-NC-ND 2.0)