In a set of emotional speeches, Humm and Guidara took to the stage to recount their story and share just how great it felt to finally reach the top of The World’s 50 Best Restaurants list. They thanked the crew back in New York before asking them not to trash the restaurant with a big party: “We can trash it together when we get back," said Guidara. The duo both used the stage to thank each other, highlighting what is a unique relationship between front-of-house and kitchen – a partnership that has now catapulted them to the top of the culinary ladder.
Massimo Bottura and his Osteria Francescana restaurant dropped down from first place to second. Third spot on the list went to the Roca brothers and their El Celler de Can Roca restaurant in Spain, for which they also won the Ferrari Trento Art of Hospitality Award, while fourth went to Mirazur in France and fifth spot went to Central in Lima.
The World’s Best Pastry Chef award went to cronut creator Dominique Ansel, the Highest Climber Award went to Blue Hill at Stone Barns.
WORLD'S 50 BEST RESTAURANTS 2017: HERE'S THE FULL LIST
1. Eleven Madison Park, New York (USA) - BEST RESTAURANT IN NORTH AMERICA and BEST RESTAURANT IN THE WORLD
2. Osteria Francescana, Modena (Italy) - BEST RESTAURANT IN EUROPE
3. El Celler de Can Roca, Girona (Spain)
4. Mirazur, Menton (France)
5. Central, Lima (Peru) - BEST RESTAURANT IN SOUTH AMERICA
6. Asador Etxebarri, Atxondo (Spain)
7. Gaggan, Bangkok (Thailand) – BEST RESTAURANT IN ASIA
8. Maido, Lima (Peru)
9. Mugaritz, San Sebastian (Spain)
10. Steirereck, Vienna (Austria)
11. Blue Hill at Stone Barns, Tarrytown (USA) – HIGHEST CLIMBER AWARD
12. Arpège, Paris (France)
13. Alain Ducasse au Plaza Athénée, Paris (France)
14. Restaurant André, Singapore (Singapore)
15. Piazza Duomo, Alba (Italy)
16. D.O.M. , Sao Paulo (Brazil)
17. Le Bernardin, New York (USA)
18. Narisawa, Tokyo (Japan)
19. Geranium, Copenhagen (Denmark)
20. Pujol, Mexico City (Mexico)
21. Alinea, Chicago (USA)
22. Quintonil, Mexico City (Mexico)
23. White Rabbit, Moscow (Russia)
24. Amber, Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
25. Tickets, Barcelona (Spain)
26. The Clove Club, London (UK)
27. The Ledbury, London (UK)
28. Nahm, Bangkok (Thailand)
29. Le Calandre, Rubano (Italy)
30. Arzak, San Sebastian (Spain)
31. Alléno Paris at Pavillon Ledoyen, Paris (France) – HIGHEST NEW ENTRY
32. Attica, Melbourne (Australia) - BEST RESTAURANT IN AUSTRALASIA
33. Astrid Y Gastón, Lima (Peru)
34. De Librije, Zwolle (Netherlands)
35. Septime, Paris (France) – STUSTAINABLE RESTAURANT AWARD
A four-day restaurant week, a day dedicated to staff learning, and cooking demonstrations for the public are just a few of the new ways of working in Dan Barber's new vision for his NY restaurant and farm. Find out more.
Francesco Martucci from I Masanielli in the Campania region of Italy has been named the best pizzaiolo in the world for a third year running. See the full list as well as all the international winners.