Restaurant Noma in Copenhagen has once again been named the best restaurant in the world at The Word’s 50 Best Restaurants 2021 ceremony in Antwerp, Belgium.
Wearing a shirt designed by his daughter, Rene Redzepi, the chef and owner of the restaurant, thanked his team, and said this would never have happened without them.
Noma had previously topped the list four times, but after closing in 2016 and reopening in a new location in 2018, the restaurant was deemed to be an entirely new entry on the list. This makes them the only restaurant to have topped the list in two different locations, and comes just weeks after Noma finally received its third Michelin star.
"This is a celebration and a goodbye at the same time," Redzepi said, referring to the new Best of the Best category, which means Noma cannot take the number one spot again without relocating for a third time.
"When Noma opened I was 23-years-old... our dream was to simply make a living from what we loved. I want to recognise all the restaurant and industry people who have fought for survival during this period. For us at Noma, we are now entering different cycle. A post-Covid cycle. But what is our future? How do we want to cook? What principles form the foundation of what we do? We spent the last year and half dreaming of something, we are ready to go build it now. Thank you for a wild ride and goodbye."
Rasmus Kofoed of Geranium, Copenhagen. Image courtesy of World's 50 Best
Second place on the list went to Geranium, also in Copenhagen, while third was held by Asador Etxebarri in Spain. The world's best female chef, still a separate award within the list, went to Pía León from Peru. The One to Watch Award was awarded to Ikoyi in London, and best pastry chef went to Will Goldfarb. The Sustainable Restaurant award went to Boragó in Chile.
This was the first edition of the list since 2019, as last year's event was unfortunately cancelled because of Covid restrictions around the world.
Below you can see the full list of all the restaurants that made The World's 50 Best Restaurants list for 2021.
The World's 50 Best Restaurants 2021
1. Noma, Copenhagen (Denmark)
2. Geranium, Copenhagen (Denmark)
3. Asador Etxebarri, Atxondo (Spain)
4. Central, Lima (Peru)
5. Disfrutar, Barcelona (Spain)
6. Frantzén, Stockholm (Sweden)
7. Maido, Lima (Peru)
8. Odette, Singapore
9. Pujol, Mexico City (Mexico)
10. The Chairman, Hong Kong (China) I Highest Climber Award
11. Den, Tokyo (Japan)
12. Steirereck, Vienna (Austria)
13. Don Julio, Buenos Aires (Argentina)
14. Mugaritz, San Sebastian (Spain)
15. Lido 84, Gardone Riviera (Italy) I Highest New Entry
16. Elkano, Getaria (Spain)
17. A Casa do Porco, São Paulo (Brazil)
18. Piazza Duomo, Alba (Italy)
19. Narisawa, Tokyo (Japan)
20. Diverxo, Madrid (Spain) I NEW ENTRY
21. Hiša Franko, Kobarid (Slovenia)
22. Cosme, New York (USA)
23. Arpège, Paris (France)
24. Septime, Paris (France)
25. White Rabbit, Moscow (Russia)
26. Le Calandre, Rubano (Italy)
27. Quintonil, Mexico City (Mexico)
28. Benu, San Francisco (USA)
29. Reale, Castel di Sangro (Italy)
30. Twins Garden, Moscow (Russia)
31. Restaurant Tim Raue, Berlin (Germany)
32. The Clove Club, London (UK)
33. Lyle’s, London (UK)
34. Burnt Ends, Singapore
35. Ultraviolet by Paul Pairet, Shanghai (China)
36. Hof Van Cleve, Kruishoutem (Belgium)
37. SingleThread, Healdsburg (USA)
38. Boragó, Santiago (Chile)
39. Florilège, Tokyo (Japan)
40. Sühring, Bangkok (Thailand)
41. Alléno Paris au Pavillon Ledoyen, Paris (France)
42. Belcanto, Lisbon (Portugal)
43. Atomix, New York (USA)
44. Le Bernadin, New York (USA)
45. Nobelhart & Schmutzig, Berlin (Germany) I NEW ENTRY
46. Leo, Bogotà (Colombia)
47. Maaemo, Oslo (Norway)
48. Atelier Crenn, San Francisco (USA)
49. Azurmendi, Larrabetzu (Spain)
50. Wolfgat, Paternoster (South Africa) I NEW ENTRY