With their spiky crowns and diamond-patterned skin, pineapples are as beautiful as they are delicious. Pineapples, or ananas as they are known in Europe, are at their best when fresh but slicing through their tough exterior is a task that can pose a few challenges. That's where this video from Betty Crocker comes in to save the day. In just 55 seconds you'll learn how to cut a pineapple safely and swiftly so you can toss it into a fruit salad, grill it, make a smoothie or add it to a tasty pork stir fry.
Check out how to cut a pineapple without any fancy gadgets:
- STEP ONE – Start by carefully cutting off the pineapple’s crown with a sharp knife.
- STEP TWO – Slice off about half an inch from the top and bottom.
- STEP THREE – Cut the pineapple into quarters lengthways.
- STEP FOUR – Peel carefully using your knife.
- STEP FIVE – Cut out the core from the centre.
- STEP SIX – Chop the flesh into slices or chunks.
- STEP SEVEN – Serve immediately or store in the fridge in a sealed container.
Did you know?
Pineapples are indigenous to South America and didn't crop up in Hawaii (the world's leading producer) until the late 1700s. When choosing a pineapple be sure to select fruit with green leaves and no yellow or brown tips. The pineapple itself should yield slightly to the touch and once cut should be consumed within three days.
Now you know how to prepare a pineapple, here are some sweet and savoury pineapple recipe ideas to inspire you.