Monkfish Fillet with Duck Breasts and Green Beans
Here is how to prepare a classy main course: roasted monkfish fillet coated with thinly sliced duck breasts, green beans and mushrooms.
30 November, 2018
1 HR 0 MIN
1 large breast, trimmed, about 450 g
4 thin fillets, skinless and pin-boned, about 150 g each
1 tbsp, unsalted
black, freshly ground
450 g, trimmed
2 tbsp, unsalted
225 g, chanterelle , brushed clean
4 - 5 sprigs, torn
For duck breasts and the monkfish fillet
- Score a criss-cross pattern into the skin and fat of the duck breast using the tip of a sharp knife.
- Season generously with salt and pepper and place skin-side down in a cold frying pan.
- Place the pan over a medium-low heat, leaving the fat to render from the breast, about 8 minutes.
- Flip the breast and cook for a further 8-10 minutes, basting with the rendered fat from time to time, until the breast is firm yet springy when pressed.
- Remove the duck from the pan and leave to drain on kitchen paper, covered loosely with aluminium foil.
- Season the monkfish fillets with salt and pepper.
- Wipe clean the pan used to cook the duck with kitchen paper. Set the pan over a medium heat and add the olive oil and butter.
- Once the butter stops foaming, carefully place the monkfish fillets in the pan and leave them to cook undisturbed for 4-5 minutes until the flesh is firm yet springy when pressed, turning once.
- Remove from the pan to a plate lined with kitchen paper.
- Cover loosely with aluminium foil.
For green beans salad
- Blanch the green beans in a large saucepan of salted, boiling water for 2 minutes.
- Drain well and refresh in iced water.
- Drain again and chop into small pieces.
- Warm the butter in a large saute pan set over a moderate heat. Add the mushrooms and seasoning, and saute for 4-5 minutes until golden and soft.
- Add the chopped beans and toss well to mix. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes until thoroughly warmed through.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste and add the torn tarragon sprigs, tossing again to incorporate.
For Monkfish Fillet with Duck Breasts and Green Beans
- Slice the duck breasts into small pieces.
- Arrange some of the duck in rows on top of the monkfish fillets and top with a tarragon sprig; set the remaining duck to one side.
- Tie the duck and tarragon to the fish, at intervals, with kitchen string.
- If desired, reheat the monkfish in a pan set over a low heat, covered with a lid, for 2 minutes.
- Spoon the green beans salad onto plates and top with the remaining duck and then the monkfish before serving.