ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
Haddock Chowder is a tasty recipe for a fish-based main course: here is an easy and quick way to prepare it at home!
For the chowder
- Preparation time
- Cooking time
- Recipe category Main course
- Recipe yield 4
How to prepare the haddock chowder
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan or casserole dish set over a medium heat until hot.
- Add the onion, carrot, and a pinch of salt, and sweat for 7-8 minutes until softened and the onion is translucent. Set aside.
- Combine the stock, water, and potatoes in a large saucepan.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce to simmer, cooking for 10-12 minutes until tender.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and add to the onions and carrots.
- Add the haddock to the stock and water mixture and simmer for 8-10 minutes until firm to the touch and flaking.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and add to the onions, carrots, and potatoes.
- Stir the potato and fish cooking liquid into the saucepan with the onions, carrots, potatoes, and fish.
- Bring to a simmer and then reduce to a low heat.
- Gradually add the double cream, stirring gently.
- Simmer and then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the chives and set aside, keeping warm.
To serve the haddock chowder
- Preheat the grill to hot.
- Brush the slices of baguette with the extra-virgin olive oil and then toast for 1-2 minutes on both sides until golden.
- Ladle the soup into serving bowls.
- Spread the toasted baguette with basil pesto and serve on the side.