Whoopie Pies with Peanut Butter and Marshmallow Cream
Try this classic and easy whoopie pies recipe, made of soft round cakes sandwiched with a creamy peanut butter and marshmallow filling.
22 November, 2018
Type of dish
1 HR 0 MIN
200 g, caster (superfine)
1 large, beaten
All purpose flour
Bicarbonate of soda
8 tbsp, unsalted
110 g, smooth
1/2 tsp, extract
1 tbsp, 48% fat
6 tbsp, unsalted
For the cakes
- Heat the oven to 180°C (160° fan) gas 4.
- Line 3 large baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in the egg until blended.
- Sift in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt and gently stir in, until incorporated. Stir in the buttermilk until smooth and thick -you may not need all the buttermilk.
- Drop 2 tablespoons of the mixture at a time onto the baking trays, keeping them about 4 cm|2" apart. 5 Bake for 10-15 minutes, until cooked through.
- Insert a skewer into the centre - it should come out clean.
- Cool on the baking trays for a few minutes, then place on a wire rack to cool completely.
For the peanut buttercream
- Beat the butter and peanut butter with an electric whisk until smooth.
- Add the icing sugar and salt and beat until blended.
- Beat in the vanilla and cream and continue beating until light and fluffy.
For the marshmallow cream
- Beat the butter until soft and creamy. Sift in the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- Beat in the marshmallow creme and vanilla until well blended.
- Turn half the cakes upside down and spread generously with the peanut buttercream.
- Spoon the marshmallow cream on top and place the remaining cakes on top.