Root vegetables are the earth's gift when the colder months roll around. Think vibrant orange carrots and earthy beetroots hugging the trusted potato and the deepest golden parsnips.
What better way to celebrate them all, than in a hearty root vegetable pie? It's a great way to make a vegetarian main dish, especially if you're entertaining this holiday season.
Make the vegetable pie in advance using your favourite root vegetables fresh from the garden or farmer's market, and throw in a few seasonal herbs like comforting, aromatic sage and thyme.
We show you how in our line-up of simple root vegetable pie recipes to try at home.
How to make a Root Vegetable Pie
Root vegetable pie ingredients list
For carrots, potatoes and turnips encased in golden and flakey puff pastry, try this simple recipe:
- carrots, peeled and sliced
- potatoes, peeled and sliced
- turnips, peeled and sliced
- butter plus extra for greasing tin
- puff pastry, thawed if frozen
- flour for rolling out
- fresh parsley, finely chopped
- egg, beaten
Root Vegetable Pie Method
- Cook an equal quantity of carrot slices, potatoes and turnips, separately, for about 6 minutes each.
- Butter a loose-bottomed cake tin and gently line with rolled out puff pastry.
- Layer up potatoes, carrots, and turnips inside the pastry in the tin adding in parsley, seasoning and dots of butter between each layer.
- Top off with a disc of puff pastry, making sure it's well sealed then make a hole in the centre to allow the steam to escape when cooking and let rest in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Brush the top of the pie with beaten egg and bake in a preheated oven at 220°C/Gas 8 for 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Then reduce the heat to 180°C/Gas 4 and cook for a further hour.
- Test with a skewer to check that the vegetables are cooked and tender.
- Finally, unmould carefully and serve hot or warm.
Hungry for more root vegetable pie recipes? Here's a roundup of some of the best online video recipes.
How to make a roasted root vegetable tart
Celebrate each of the root vegetables by intensifying their flavours through roasting and give them each a staring role in this roasted root vegetable tart. See how it's done in the video below.
How to make Root Vegetable Tian
Elevate your root vegetable pie game with a layered open-vegetable tian. Watch how it's done in the clip below.
How to make vegetarian cottage pie
Go for the ultimate comfort food in this oven-ready cottage pie of slow cooked vegetables topped off with a rich and creamy mash. Tuck into the perfect winter recipe below:
Vegetarian Pot Pie
And finally, a hearty vegetarian pot pie with a spicy twist to keep you warm on the inside. This roasted root vegetable pie gets a flavour boost with garam masala and coconut milk. See how in the clip below:
Know your root vegetables - here's a list of all the root vegetables worthy of attention this winter.