Gingerbread men cookies are the cutest Christmas treats. Colorful, fun and with just enough spice to combat their sweetness, these cookies are a must come the holiday season.
Our gingerbread men cookie recipe uses classic ingredients and yields beautiful results. The spices that form the base are ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice - which together result in a flavorful and aromatic holiday cookie.
Molasses gives the gingerbread men cookie recipe a brownish hue and aids in caramelization. The best part? You can easily turn this into a vegan gingerbread men cookie recipe by swapping margarine for butter and using a flax egg. Let's get started!
image via Pivino/Flickr
Classic Gingerbread Men Cookie Recipe
Ingredients for 24 cookies
3 cups of all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons of ground ginger
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
1/2 cup molasses
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg (or flax egg)
1/4 teaspoon salt
For decorating: royal icing
1. Begin by mixing all the flour, spices, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Whisk to incorporate.
2. Cream the butter, molasses and sugar using an electric mixer. Beat until very light and fluffy then add the egg. Beat until incorporated then add the vanilla extract. Mix well.
3. Add the flour a little at a time, beating to incorporate between each addition. Once the cookie mixture comes together stop beating.
4. Divide the dough into two balls. Flatten into a disc and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate the dough for at least two hours to make it easier to work with.
5. Roll out the dough into a 1/4 inch thickness. Use gingerbread men cookie cutters to obtain 24 cookies. Place on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper or a silpat.
6. Bake at 170°C (350F) for 10 minutes until the edges begin to brown. Slide the cookies onto a cooling rack. Allow to cool before decorating.
How To Decorate Gingerbread Men Cookies
Use a piping bag to apply the royal icing on the cookies. You can make decorative patterns by outlining the gingerbread men cookies. Then add eyes and/or buttons down the front. Use your imagination!
From 28-30 October, join Fine Dining Lovers for a celebration of young culinary talent, when 12 global finalists will battle it out in Milan for the title of best young chef in the world - plus, join our first edition of Brain Food forum. See what's on.
Fine Dining Lovers teams up with the Culinary Institute of America, James Beard Foundation and Black Food Folks on the Better Business project to build stronger, more sustainable business practices for the industry.