ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
Kulebiak is a huge baked traditional Polish bread stuffed with cabbage, eggs and salmon. Follow the steps below to prepare it at home!
For the yeast dough
For the filling
- Onion 2, finely chopped
- Garlic 3 cloves, finely chopped
- Vegetable oil 2 tbsp
- Cabbage 1 small, white, approx. 800 g, outer leaves removed, rest finely chopped
- Vegetable stock 100 ml
- Rice 100 g
- Fish stock 200 ml
- Butter 2 1/2 tbsp
- Mushrooms 300 g, sliced
- Salmon 200 g, fillet, diced
- Eggs 4 hard boiled, peeled amd sliced
- Dill 20 g, chopped
- Egg yolk 2, to glaze
- Preparation time
- Cooking time
- Recipe category Main course
- Recipe yield 6
- Recipe cuisine East European/Russian
- Mix the yeast with 5 tbsp of milk and stir in the sugar.
- Mix the flour and the salt in a bowl and create a well in the middle.
- Pour the yeast-milk mixture into the well, sprinkle with some of the flour, cover with a cloth and leave to rise for 15 minutes.
- Add the rest of the milk, the egg yolks and the butter and knead into a smooth dough.
- Cover and leave to rise in a warm place for one hour until the dough has doubled in size.
- Fry the onions and garlic in hot oil, add the cabbage and quench with the vegetable stock.
- Cook on a low heat for 10-15 minutes. Sieve and set aside.
- Place the rice and the fish stock in a pot and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 20 minutes on a low heat.
- Heat the butter in a pan and fry the mushrooms, set aside for a while to allow the water to escape from the mushrooms.
- Then fry again until all the liquid has evaporated and season with ground black pepper.
- Heat the oven to 200°C (180°C in a fan oven), gas 6 and line a baking tray with grease-proof paper.
- Re-knead the dough, break in half and roll out into a rectangle.
- Place on the prepared baking tray and spread with the rice and the cabbage mixture.
- Cover with the salmon and the mushrooms and finish with the eggs and the dill.
- Fold the dough over the filling and press together firmly.
- Brush the bread with egg yolk and bake for 50 minutes.
- Serve the kulebiak either hot or cold.