Couscous With Vegetables
Hungry for Moroccan food? Try this easy vegetarian couscous recipe with mixed vegetables and pine nuts
02 May, 2012
Season & Occasion
1 HR 15 MIN
2 each, small
100 g leaves
4 sprigs, fresh
45 ml, clarified
To taste, freshly
To taste, as garnish
- Pour 300 ml boiling salted water on to the couscous and leave to swell for 5 minutes.
- Fluff up the couscous with a fork and keep warm.
- Wash the zucchini and cut into thickish sticks.
- Wash, halve and deseed the tomatoes and cut into pieces.
- Peel the carrots, cut into four or eight lengthwise and then into sticks.
- Wash and roughly dice the eggplant.
- Wash and trim the beans, cut off the ends and cut in half if necessary.
- Peel and finely chop the garlic.
- Crush the chili pepper in a mortar.
- Heat the clarified butter in a large frying pan, add the carrots and beans and cook gently for 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and chili and cook all together for a short time.
- Then add the zucchini and eggplant, cover and cook over a low heat for 4 minutes.
- Deglaze with vegetable stock, stir in the tomatoes and chickpeas, cover and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Season with salt, pepper and saffron.
- Toast the pine nuts in an ungreased frying pan.
- Transfer the couscous to a terracotta dish and place the vegetables on top.
- Scatter with the toasted pine nuts and garnish with parsley or coriander.