The World's Best Vineyards for 2020 have been announced in an online event, with South America remaining the top destination for a vineyard vacation.
Argentinian winery Zuccardi Valle de Uco was crowned winner for a second consecutive year for its "precision-made high-altitude wines". Uruguay's Bodega Garzón, came in second once again and was praised as a leader in sustainability, while Chilean winery Montes appears at number four. There were five South American winners in the top 20 in total.
Europe's best vineyard is Austria's Domäne Wachau, at number three, producing Grüner Veltliner white wines.
Robert Mondavi Winery in Napa Valley, California, took fifth place and was North America's highest entry. The winery is known for its Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve and Oakville District Cabernet Sauvignon.
The 2020 Top 50 vineyards represented 18 countries and also included first-time winners from India, Bulgaria and Japan.
See the top 50 list below.
How are the awards nominated?
The awards are based on nominations from a Voting Academy made up of more than 500 wine experts across the globe, divided into 18 geographical regions, with 36 experts in each.
"There is no predetermined checklist or criteria," said awards founder Andrew Reed as he introduced the live-streamed event. "The experience will take in all sorts of things connected with the visit. The tour, the tasting, the ambiance, the architecture, the wine, the food, the staff, the view... The list goes on."
The World's 50 Best Vineyards for Wine Tourism
1. Zuccardi Valle de Uco (Argentina) *Best in South America*
2. Bodega Garzón (Uruguay)
3. Domäne Wachau (Austria)
4. Montes (Chile)
5. Robert Mondavi Winery (California) *Best in North America*
6. Marqués de Riscal (Spain)
7. Château Smith Haut Lafitte (France)
8. Quinta do Crasto (Portugal)
9. Antinori nel Chianti Classico (Italy)
10. Viña Vik (Chile)
11. Catena Zapata (Argentina)
12. Schloss Johannisburg (Germany)
13. Rippon (New Zealand) *Best in Australasia*
14. Delaire Graff Estate (South Africa) *Best in Africa* *Highest climber*
15. Weingut Dr. Loosen (Germany)
16. Ridge Vineyards, Monte Bello (United States) *Highest new entry*
17. Craggy Range (New Zealand)
18. Gonzalez Byass -- Bodegas Tio Pepe (Spain)
19. Château Pichon Baron (France)
20. Opus One Winery (California)
21. Ceretto, Italy
22. Château Margaux, France
23. Bodegas Salentein, Argentina
24. Penfolds Magill Estate, Australia
25. Henschke, Australia
26. Bodega Bouza, Uruguay
27. Clos Apalta, Chile
28. Champagne Taittinger, France
29. Champagne Billecart-Salmon, France
30. Château Mercian Mariko Winery, Japan (continent winner - Asia)
31. Château d'Yquem, France
32. Bodegas RE, Chile
33. Château Mouton Rothschild, France
34. d'Arenberg, Australia
35. Viña Errázuriz, Chile
36. GAJA, Italy
37. DOMAINE SIGALAS SA, Greece
38. Château Oumsiyat, Lebanon
39. Wine Cellar Villa Melnik, Bulgaria
40. Viña Casas del Bosque, Chile
41. Bodegas Vivanco, Spain
42. Familia Torres, Spain
43. Viu Manent, Chile
44. Maison Ruinart, France
45. Domaine Marcel Deiss, France
46. KRSMA Estates, India
47. Stag's Leap Wine Cellars, United States
48. Château Heritage, Lebanon
49. Quinta do Noval, Portugal
50. Trapiche, Argentina