It is certain to become a fall family favourite, a treat or a reward for carving out lanterns, or a warming meal after an evening in the garden raking up leaves.
- First, take one yellow onion, finely chopped, and four minced garlic cloves, and sweat with a tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot for 2-3 minutes until transparent.
- Add a nugget of ginger, grated, and a teaspoon of salt.
- Cook for one minute and then remove from the pan.
- Cut some chicken breasts into bite-size pieces and cook until golden brown. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Place the sweated onion, garlic and ginger back in the pot and add your leftover pumpkin or butternut squash.
- If you love spicy food, you can really turn up the heat by adding jalapeno pepper or your hot sauce of choice.
- Turn up the heat and cook until it starts to caramelise.
- Add one can of pumpkin puree (not pie filling) and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Add a handful of thinly chopped chilli, preferably fresh, but flakes will do if you don’t have them.
- Add chicken and two tablespoons of Thai red curry paste and stir the mixture together making sure the pumpkin and the chicken are coated well in the paste, stirring occasionally.
- Add chicken or vegetable stock, sugar snap peas, roughly chopped shiitake mushrooms (if desired), and simmer for 20 minutes. Make sure you don’t overcook the veg as they need to be crunchy.
- Add one can of coconut milk, one tablespoon of fish sauce and a tablespoon of soy sauce and cook for five minutes on minimum heat.
- Add the juice of one lime and at this point, you can add any green leaves you wish, baby spinach or cabbage leaves.
- Separately, cook ramen noodles or rice noodles according to packet instructions. When ready, add the noodles to the pumpkin curry ramen and sprinkle with chopped scallions.
- Serve in deep bowls with plenty of broth for everyone.
Rest assured, as the days get shorter and the nights longer, this is a pumpkin recipe that will warm you up this Halloween and beyond. Don't be scared, give it a go.
You May Also Like