The National Restaurant Association have released their 20 top food trends for 2016 and there’s some interesting selections on the list.
The list was created after the association surveyed 1,575 professional chefs, asking them which foods, beverages and culinary themes they expect to see on menus in 2016.
The big winner on the list was a focus towards locally source meat and fish - the report adds: “when asked which current food trend has grown the most over that last decade, 44 percent of the chefs surveyed said local sourcing. Looking forward, 41 percent said the trend that will grow the most in the next 10 years is environmental sustainability.”
Other trends to hit the list were fast-casual - a movement that’s already gained traction in 2015. Ne cuts of meat, ethnic breakfast items and healthy kids meals.
Take a look at the full list below.
1. Locally sourced meats and seafood
2. Chef-driven fast-casual concepts
3. Locally grown produce
4. Hyper-local sourcing
5. Natural ingredients/minimally processed food
6. Environmental sustainability
7. Healthful kids' meals
8. New cuts of meat
9. Sustainable seafood
10. House-made/artisan ice cream
11. Ethnic condiments/spices
12. Authentic ethnic cuisine
13. Farm/estate branded items
14. Artisan butchery
15. Ancient grains
16. Ethnic-inspired breakfast items
17. Fresh/house-made sausage
18. House-made/artisan pickles
19. Food waste reduction/management
20. Street food/food trucks