The Opinionated About Dining blog has released its annual list of the Top 100+ Restaurants in Europe, and it's Schloss Schauenstein, the three-Michelin-star restaurant presided over by chef Andreas Caminada, nestled in the Swiss Alps, which takes the number one spot this year for the first time.
Chef Alain Passard's 2016 and 2017 winner L’Arpège in Paris drops down to fourth this year, with Magnus Nilsson's remote Fäviken moving from third to second, and Etxebarri and Azurmendi, both in the Basque Country, taking third and fifth spots respectively.
There are two new entries in this year's top 10: Chambre Séparée in Gent, Belgium and Restaurant Frantzén in Stockholm, which recently became Sweden's first ever three-Michelin-star restaurant.
The list was announced at the end of a week of special dinners and events in London organised by the blog, which was started in 2004 by former music industry executive Steve Plotnicki. The list, which has appeared annually since 2012, is compiled from the reviews of close to 5000 esteemed diners. Prior to this, a list of the Top 100+ Classical Restaurants in Europe had already been released.
See the top 20 below and the full list here.
Top 20 Restaurants in Europe
- Schloss Schauenstein (Fürstenau, Switzerland)
- Fäviken (Järpen, Sweden)
- Etxebarri (Axpe, Spain)
- L’Arpège (Paris, France)
- Azurmendi (Larrabetzu, Spain)
- Chambre Séparée (Gent, Belgium)
- De Librije (Zwolle. Netherlands)
- Restaurant Frantzén (Stockholm, Sweden)
- Restaurant Quique Dacosta (Dénia, Spain)
- Le Calandre (Rubano, Italy)
- Hertog Jan (Zedelgem, Belgium)
- Disfrutar (Barcelona, Spain)
- Geranium (Copenhagen, Denmark)
- La Marine (Noirmoutier, France)
- Osteria Francescana (Modena, Italy)
- Victor’s Fine Dining by Christian Bau (Perl, Germany)
- Hiša Franko (Kobarid, Slovenia)
- Maaemo (Oslo, Norway)
- Astrance (Paris, France)
- Flocons de Sel (Megève, France)
Top 20 Gourmet Casual Restaurants in Europe
Alongside the 100+ Best Restaurants in Europe, Opinionated About Dining have also released a list of the Top 100+ Gourmet Casual Restaurants in Europe, with Barcelona dominating the top 20, which you can see below. See the full list here.
- Estimar (Barcelona, Spain)
- El Quim (Barcelona, Spain)
- Ganbara (San Sebastián, Spain)
- Trattoria Trippa (Milan, Italy)
- Abri (Paris, France)
- Septime (Paris, France)
- Compartir (Cadaqués, Spain)
- Clown Bar (Paris, France)
- Cuchara de San Telmo (San Sebastián, Spain)
- Lyle’s (London, UK)
- Quimet & Quimet (Barcelona, Spain)
- Bodega 1900 (Barcelona, Spain)
- Bar Néstor (San Sebastián, Spain)
- Niño Viejo (Barcelona, Spain)
- Dos Pebrots (Barcelona, Spain)
- Manfreds (Copenhagen, Denmark)
- La Viña (San Sebastián, Spain)
- Suculent (Barcelona, Spain)
- Hidalgo 56 (San Sebastián, Spain)
- Chez L’Ami Jean (Paris, France)