- Put half of the water in a bowl, melt the fresh yeast in it then add the starter, add 120 g of flour then the salt, go on beating and adding the remaining flour and water little by little till the dough will be smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough onto a floured surface and knead 1-2 minutes with a spatula then place it in an oiled bowl, cover with a plastic wrap and let rise 2-3 hours.
- Pour the dough on a floured surface, cut into 2 pieces, flatten lightly and roll using your thumb, place it vertically in front of you, flatten a little and roll once more.
- Shape the pieces on a floured tray and let rise 50 –60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C turn the pieces upside down on to a floured baking stone and slide on to the baking rack, reduce the heat to 205°C and bake 20 minutes then reduce the heat to 180°C and bake 30-40 minutes more.
- Cool on a rack.
For the olive version, add 284 g of pitted black olives into the dough before letting it rise.
Watch the Sorelle Simili prepare this classic Italian bread