Baked Lemon and Basil Doughnuts
These soft lemon-flavored and basil doughnuts are a gluten-free and easy to make breakfast treat. They are a yummy way to start the day!
27 November, 2018
Type of dish
1 HR 40 MIN
softned, for the tray
1 tsp, crushed
1 tsp, gluten free
Bicarbonate of soda
130 g, puree
1 - 2 tsp, grated
1 handful, leaves, finely chopped
1 unwaxed, grated zest and juice
How to make backed lemon and basil doughnuts
- Heat the oven to 200°C (180°C fan), gas 6.
- Grease a 12 hole doughnut tin.
- Add the linseeds to the mineral water and leave to swell for around 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, mix together the four types of flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, xanthan gum, salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, beat the apple juice, vanilla sugar, apple puree, oil and lemon zest using a hand mixer until light and fluffy. Whisk in the linseeds.
- Continue mixing, then add the flour mixture and mix in quickly.
- Add enough lemon-flavoured mineral water to create a smooth, uniform dough.
- Stir in half the chopped basil and transfer the mixture to the tins.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Cool in the tins.
- Mix together the remaining chopped basil and the lemon juice. Leave to infuse for around 45 minutes then press through a sieve.
- Sift the icing sugar into the mixture a little at a time, stirring, until thick.
- Spoon into a small piping bag and pipe stripes onto the lemon and basil doughnuts.
- Sprinkle with lemon zest and leave to set.