ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
Learn how to make marbled tea eggs, a traditional Chinese food eaten as a snack: an easy recipe to pre-boil an egg, crack it and boil it again in tea or spices.
- Preparation time
- Cooking time
- Recipe category Appetizer
- Recipe yield 4
- Recipe cuisine Chinese
How To Make Marbled Tea Eggs
1. Put the eggs into a pan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil.
2. Simmer for 5 minutes, then drain and refresh in iced water.
3. Now carefully tap the eggs on your work surface to crack the shells on all sides.
4. Put the eggs back into the pan and add the tea, cinnamon sticks, star anise, coarse salt, soy sauce and 1 litre water.
5. Bring to the boil and simmer, covered, for 1 hour.
6. Crush the crystal salt slightly in a mortar and mix with the sesame seeds and five-spice powder.
7. Shell the eggs and serve on small plates with a little of the spice mixture.
Tips: The more cracks there are in the shell, the better the marbled effect will be.