Forbes has released its 30 Under 30 Europe list which highlights a number of young innovators in food and drink. This list follows the release of 30 Under 30 North America and Asia edition, and features 300 people (or teams) from 34 European countries and 22 non-European countries across ten categories.
Here are the up and coming names and startups to watch out for in food and drink:
- Klemens Schraml: Chef & Owner of RAU Nature Based Cuisine, a Michelin star restaurant in a rural town in Austria’s Northern Limestone Alps.
- Baia Wines: Cofounders of Baia Wines, fourth-generation Georgian family winemakers making organic, biodynamic wine. (Georgia is known to have the longest wine tradition in the world, running 8,000 years strong. Read about it in our story here.)
- Merlin Labron-johnson: Culinary Director of The Conduit, a members club devoted to social change. Labron-Johnson was also the youngest Michelin Star British chef, for his restaurant Portland, which he opened in London in 2015. He is also cooking in his personal time at the RefettorioFelix, the homeless centre opened in 2017 in London by chef Massimo Bottura's non-profit organisation Food For Soul.
- Alex Lai: Founder of Simplee Aloe gets a spot on the list due to his line of successful aloe juices, supplements and waters. The company also helps provide clean water to Africa through charity partnerships.
- Popchef: Cofounders of French food delivery startup Popchef, delivering healthy desk lunches to city workers who in 2018, managed to raise US$4.5 million and have delivered over 800,000 meals in Paris.
- GiovanniRastrelli: CEO of EDIT Torino (Eat Drink Innovate Together) a multifuntional space that contains a cafe, bakery, brewery, cocktail bar, restaurant and kitchens created to be rented and shared. The menu at the brewery was created by celebrity pizzaiolo Renato Bosco while chef Matteo Monti recently took over from the Costardi brothers (of Michelin star restaurant Ristorante Cinzia in Vercelli) as resident chef at the restaurant.
Discover Fine Dining Lovers' exclusive Why Waste? video series, featuring Massimo Bottura and his team of chefs, as they teach us how to repurpose leftovers and trimmings in delicious and imaginative ways, from vegetables to dairy. Take a look