- Soak the lentils in cold water for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the slow cooker if necessary – see manufacturer’s instructions.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan (skillet) and cook the garlic and onion for 5 minutes until softened.
- Mix the onion and garlic with the soaked, drained lentils and the remaining ingredients.
- Transfer to the slow cooker pot. Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours, stirring once or twice, until the lentils are tender.
- Spoon into a bowl and garnish with the bay leaf and peppercorns.
Normal Cooking: Put the soaked, drained lentils and water into a pan with the salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes, until tender and thickened. Add more water, if necessary, to prevent drying out. Stir in the ginger, tomato, lemon juice and turmeric. Continue simmering. Heat the oil in a small pan and add the cumin seeds, chilli powder, asafoetida, garlic and onion. cook for about 5 minutes, stirring until the onion is softened. Stir the mixture into the lentils, mixing well. Spoon into a bowl and serve as above.