ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
Easy and quick to prepare, the stir fry Szechuan beef with vegetables is a very popular Chinese main dish ideal to be served with rice noodles.
- Soy sauce 3 tbsp
- Oyster sauce 2 tbsp
- Rice wine vinegar 2 tbsp
- Water 1 tbsp, hot
- Chilli sauce 1 tbsp, preferable Szechuan
- Brown sugar 2 tsp, soft
- Groundnut oil 3 tbsp, or sunflower oil
- Beef 500 g, sirloin steak, trimmed and cut into thin strips
- Broccolo 1, head, prepared into florets
- Orange pepper 1 large, cored seeded and sliced
- Red pepper 1 large, cored, seeded, and sliced
- Carrot 1 large, peeled and shredded
- Beans 250 g, green, trimmed
- Sesame seeds to garnish
- Coriander 1 small handful, leaves only, to garnish
- Pepper black, freshly ground
- Preparation time
- Cooking time
- Recipe category Main course
- Recipe yield 4
How to prepare Szechuan beef
- Whisk together the soy sauce, oyster sauce, vinegar, hot water, chilli sauce, and sugar in a small bowl until the sugar has dissolved.
- Heat 2 tbsp groundnut oil in a large wok set over a high heat until hot.
- Season the steak with salt and pepper before adding to the wok, stir-frying until just coloured, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the remaining oil and then the broccoli, peppers, carrot, and green beans.
- Partially cover with a lid and let cook for for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften.
- Remove the lid and add the prepared sauce from step 1, stirring thoroughly.
- Continue to stir-fry for a further 2 minutes, tossing occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and the sauce has reduced slightly.
- Divide the Szechuan beef between bowls and garnish with sesame seeds and coriander leaves before serving.