ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
This classic Southern recipe is the perfect dish to celebrate the New Year's. Ringing in the new year with this tasty dish is said to bring good fortune.
- Preparation time
- Cooking time
- Recipe category Main course
- Recipe yield 4
(For 4 servings)
1. Drain the black-eyed peas and place in a Dutch oven or large pan
2. Add 900 ml of water and 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce the heat and simmer for 1 1/2 hours until tender.
3. Place the ham hocks in a pan and cover with water. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for about 40 minutes until the meat is tender.
4. Remove the meat from the bone and cut into dice.
5. Add the ham, remaining water, the remaining salt, bacon, bay leaf, rice, onion, and celery to the black-eyed peas and stir well.
6. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for about 30 minutes, until the rice is tender, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
7. Heat the grill.
8. Grill the bacon until crisp, then chop into pieces.
9. Add to the black-eyed peas.
10. Sprinkle with spring onions and serve immediately.