ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
Just follow the simple steps below to prepare a mouthwatering and gourmet braised shoulder of kid topped with fennel and celery root chips.
- Shallot 1, halved
- Garlic 1 clove, crushed
- Lamb 1 kg, shoulder
- Ghee 2 tbspo
- Red Wine 250 ml, dry
- Vegetable broth 150 ml
- Bay 1 leaf
- Thyme 6 sprigs
- Celery 1/4 root (celeriac), peeled and very finely sliced
- Oil for frying
- Fennel 2 large heads
- Olive oil 2 tbsp
- Soy sauce 3 tbsp, dark
- Honey 1 tbsp
- Preparation time
- Cooking time
- Recipe category Main course
- Recipe yield 4
- Peel the shallots and cut in half.
- Peel and crush the garlic clove.
- Remove any visible fat and sinews from the kid.
- Score the skin making crosswise incisions with a sharp knife and rub with salt.
- Heat the ghee in a large pot, add the kid and brown well on all sides.
- Place the meat with the skin facing upward in the pot; pour the wine and broth over the top.
- Add the garlic, shallots, bay leaf and thyme sprigs.
- Cover the pot and allow to cook for approximately 20 minutes.
- Turn the shoulder, adding more broth if necessary, and continue cooking for another 20 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 240C (220C fan), gas 9.
- Meanwhile, fry the celery root in hot oil for approximately 3 minutes until golden brown.
- Allow to drain on paper towels.
- Wash the fennel and cut the stalk and the bulb lengthwise into 3-4 mm pieces.
- Steam the chopped fennel in a pan with approximately 50 ml of broth, shake and pat dry.
- Fry the dried fennel in the olive oil. Pour in the soy sauce, place it in a dish and drizzle the honey over the top.
- Remove the kid from the pot and place in an ovenproof pan the oven for 10 - 15 minutes to crisp the skin.
- After approximately 5 minutes, add the fennel.
- Strain the bay leaf, garlic, onion, shallot and thyme from the broth and reheat it.
- Remove the kid and fennel from the oven.
- Place the fennel on the plates; reserving four pieces.
- Slice the meat and place it on top of the fennel.
- Garnish with the reserved fennel and thyme.
- Pour a little of the reserved sauce over the top.
- Finish by placing a celery root chip on each plate and serve.