If you are sweet-toothed, confectioner’s custard is probably one of your favourite recipes, ideal for filling pastries or serving with desserts. Here are 5 cooking tips for making an excellent eggless custard: with the right ingredients and a few simple steps, you will leave the most sceptical traditional pastry enthusiasts absolutely speechless. For the complete method, get the recipe of eggless custard here.
- When you make a custard without eggs, the resulting cream is lighter colored than that of the traditional recipe. This should not be a problem if you are going to use it as a filling but what if it has to be served as an accompaniment? A simple solution consists in adding a pinch of turmeric when you have finished cooking it. This will ensure an attractive yellow colour without altering the taste.
- To give more character and aroma to your eggless custard, add a pinch of ground lemon zest powder in the final cooking phase.
- One of the commonest errors is to add the milk to the dry ingredients in one go: this can cause the formation of lumps and spoil the end result. To obtain a soft smooth custard, our advice is to mix the starch with the sugar, and add the warm milk very gradually.
- Once prepared, place the custard into a bowl standing in ice. In this way it will cool more quickly without continuing to cook.
- Before using your eggless custard place it in the fridge for at least 30’ with cling film in direct contact with the surface to prevent the formation of a skin. A recipe for eggless confectioner’s custard that will not make you pine for the original: here’s how to prepare the light eggless version of custard.