Butternut Squash, Apple and Walnut Muffins
Try these butternut squash, apple and walnut muffins! They're an easy dessert idea or a delicious way to start the day.
30 August, 2018
Type of dish
0 HR 50 MIN
1/2 small, peeled, seeds removed and diced
100 g, brown
5 g, finely ground, plus 3 tbsp extra
Bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp, gluten free
1 pinch, ground
160 g (caster)
1 tsp, zest, finely grated
1, peeled, cored, and grated
How to make a butternut squash, apple and walnut muffins
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160° fan) | gas 4.
- Place paper cases in a 12-muffin or cupcake tin.
- Place the squash in a steaming basket, cover, and steam over a half-filled saucepan of simmering water for about 10 minutes until tender to the point of a knife.
- Mash to a smooth puree in a mixing bowl.
- Stir together the flours, ground walnuts, salt, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, and cinnamon in a mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk together the eggs with 110 g of the squash puree, the sugar, oil, vanilla, and lemon zest.
- Fold into the dry ingredients until well incorporated, and then fold in the apple.
- Divide between the paper cases and chop the 2 tbsp extra walnuts, sprinkling them over the batter.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until golden-brown and risen; a cake tester should come out clean from their centres.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool completely before serving.