Cacio e Pepe Pizza by Daniele Uditi
Daniele Uditi, executive chef at Pizzana in Los Angeles, shares the recipe for his iconic cacio e pepe pizza - a pizza which the late Jonathan Gold described as 'a small miracle'.
Pizzana was named #9 on the 50 Top Pizza USA 2022 list.
17 June, 2022
650 g water at room temp
35 g sea salt
active dry yeast
250 g fresh whole milk ricotta
Grated Pecorino Romano
50 g of regular heavy whipping cream
Assembling the Pizza
Freshly cracked black pepper
213 g of grated dry whole milk mozzarella
50 g heavy whipping cream
207 g fresh mozzarella – grated
Extra virgin olive oil
- Kitchen scale
- 2 pizza stones
- Wire cooling rack
- Wooden pizza peel
Make your pizza dough
- In a bowl, mix the water and flour until it comes together, but is still a little shaggy. Let rest for 30 minutes.
- Dissolve the active dry yeast in a small amount of warm water and add it to the shaggy flour and water mix. Knead the dough until the yeast is fully absorbed.
- Add the salt and continue kneading the dough for 10-15 minutes.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and it rest for at least an hour.
- Divide the dough into 250g pieces. Shape each piece into a ball and place the balls into a dough tray or plastic container. Cover the trays or container and let the dough proof at room temperature for 5-6 hours. The balls should double in size.
Make the Parmigiano crema
- Place ricotta, pecorino and whipping cream in a blender and blend until consistency is super creamy. Place mixture in a squeeze bottle or piping bag.
- Let the mixture set in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours before you use it.
Assemble your pizza
- Before heating your oven, put your pizza stones on the top and bottom racks of your oven.
- Preheat oven for 1 hour at 500 degrees F or on broil.
- Dust semolina flour on your pizza peel.
- Stretch and form the dough and place it on the dusted pizza peel.
- Brush the crust with olive oil and spread 1 1/2 tablespoons of regular heavy cream on dough. Spread to the edges but don’t touch the crust.
- Sprinkle the dry whole-milk grated mozzarella and fresh grated mozzarella evenly over the dough.
- Evenly spread 1 tablespoon of Parmigiano Reggiano on top.
- Place the pizza on the bottom pizza stone and cook for 6-7 minutes or until crust is leopard-spotted.
- Put the pizza on a cooling rack for 30-60 seconds.
- Cut your pizza and then add Parmigiano crema to each slice.
- Finish by cracking black pepper over each slice.