Wondering how to make Tarte Tatin? The famous French apple tart will be easy to prepare by following the steps below.
12 November, 2018
Type of dish
1 HR 40 MIN
All purpose flour
100 g, chilled
1000 g, small, e. g. Cox's Orange or Elstar
How to prepare a delicious tarte tatin
- Make a shortcrust pastry from the flour, sugar, butter, egg and a pinch of salt.
- Wrap in cling film and chill in the refrigerator for around 30 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 220°C (200°C in a fan oven), 425°F, gas 7.
- Peel and core the apples.
- Cut into quarters, or smaller depending on the size.
- Drizzle with lemon juice and mix well.
For the caramel
- Melt the butter in a non-stick frying pan.
- Stir in the sugar and caramelise slightly.
- Stir the apple wedges into the mixture and cook briefly.
- Remove from the heat and arrange in the tart tin like a fan.
- Roll the pastry out to slightly larger than the tin and place over the apples like a lid.
- Fold the edges inwards and press down gently.
- Bake for around 20 minutes until golden brown.
- Take out of the oven and leave to cool for around 10 minutes, then release the edge with a small knife and turn the tart out onto a cake plate.
- Best served warm, with vanilla ice cream, crème fraîche or a spoonful of whipped cream.