Aubergine and Carrot Tart
Easy and quick to prepare, this gluten-free and dairy-free aubergine and carrot tart is a perfect summer dish. Follow the steps below to prepare it at home.
05 June, 2018
Type of dish
2 HR 10 MIN
How to make a delicious aubergine and carrot tart
For the pastry
- Combine the rice flour, salt, baking powder, and vegetable shortening in a food processor.
- Pulse until the mixture resembles rough breadcrumbs.
- Add the cold water, 1 tbsp at a time, and pulse between additions until a rough dough comes together.
- Turn out the dough onto a floured surface and knead briefly.
- Wrap in clingfilm and chill for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the dough from the fridge and preheat the oven to 180°C (160° fan) | gas 4.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to 1 cm | 0.5" thickness.
- Use it to line the base and sides of a 20 cm | 8" rimmed pie dish, letting the pastry stick to the rim.
- Cut away any overhanging excess.
- Prick the base with a fork and chill until needed.
For the filling
- Using a mandolin set to 0.5 cm | 0.25" cutting thickness, slice the vegetables, lengthways, into thin slices.
- Pat them dry with kitchen paper and then brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the vegetables in the lined pastry, on their sides in concentric circles, layering them alternately.
- Slice more carrot and courgette if needed and tuck them into the tart on their sides.
- Brush the top of the tart with any remaining olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until the pastry is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool before serving warm or at room temperature.