If you’ve never skinned a salmon fillet before, it can seem like a daunting task. But with a little bit of know-how, it can be dealt with in no time. Follow our foolproof, step-by-step guide, and you’ll soon be handling fish like a pro.
- Place the fish skin-side down on a cutting board, close to the edge of the counter, and with the tail (or a corner, if you’ve already cut the fish into fillets) closest to the edge.
- Take a long, thin knife with a sharp edge, and slide it between the skin and the meat, starting at the tail end (or corner) by the edge of the counter.
- Once you’ve separated about an inch of skin, grip the skin firmly between your finger and thumb, using a paper towel to stop your fingers from slipping. Keep your hand over the end of the counter to avoid scraping your knuckles.
- Pull gently but firmly on the freed skin, and move the knife in the opposite direction. If the skin is a little stubborn, you can make a slight sawing motion with the knife.
- Turn the fillet over and check that all the skin is removed. If there are any scraps still remaining, trim them off.
Recipes with salmon (with and without the skin)
Without the skin:
Now you know how to remove the skin, making your favourite salmon dishes couldn’t be easier. Try out your new knife skills on these succulent skinless salmon recipes.
Gorgonzola and salmon lasagna: easy to make but elegant enough for entertaining, this luscious lasagne is an irresistible blend of meaty salmon, tender asparagus and salty Gorgonzola.
Salmon and quinoa burgers with salmon: these gourmet salmon burgers are finished with a creamy avocado sauce and peppery rocket salad for a healthy but satisfying brunch.
With the skin:
If you think the skin is the best part, we’ve got you covered too. These recipes, complete with that deliciously crispy skin, are just for you.
Beetroot cured salmon: cured for 3 days in a mixture of beetroot, horseradish and dill, these richly-flavoured salmon slices are the ideal appetiser, and also make great finger food at buffets and parties.
Easy grilled salmon: a classic dish, simply prepared. Follow these easy instructions from Simply Recipes for the perfect grilled salmon.
For more salmon inspiration, take a look at these creative ideas for using leftover salmon.