Kimchi is a fermented cabbage Korean traditional recipe, made with a spicy mix of ingredients. Follow the simple steps below to prepare it at home!
30 November, 2018
9 HR 20 MIN
How to prepare a spicy Korean Kimchi
- Toss the cabbage with the salt in a large mixing bowl. Cover with the water.
- Cover the bowl with clingfilm and let stand at room temperature for at least 12 hours.
- Drain the cabbage and rinse under running water to get rid of any excess salt.
- Gently squeeze the cabbage to extract as much excess water as possible.
- Transfer the cabbage to a bowl and add all the remaining ingredients.
- Mix thoroughly with your hands until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into a wide glass jar.
- Seal well and let stand in a cool, dark place for 24 hours.
- Unseal the jar after 24 hours to let any trapped gases escape.
- Reseal and chill for at least 3-4 days before serving.
- Kimchi is best eaten after 1 week of fermenting, it will keep for up to 1 month in the fridge.