- Melt butter in a large stock pot over medium heat.
- Increasing heat slightly, fry onion, garlic, ginger, curry powder, salt and pepper.
- Stir occasionally until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Fold in squash and potato, and then add chicken stock, lemon juice and tomatoes paste, bringing to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until squash is tender, 20-25 minutes.
- Purée soup in batches (Or let cool and refrigerate overnight).
- In a clean pot, heat soup with coconut milk until hot, but not boiling.
Serve in appetizer bowls, garnished with swirls of red pepper purée, maple syrup, salt, and ground pepper.
(Creme fraiche and basil make great alternatives).