ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
Here is how to prepare a delicious venison loin steak with red wine shallots: it's a classy recipe perfect for a special occasion.
- Olive oil 5 tbsp
- Shallot 8, peeled and sliced in half lengthways
- Garlic 1 clove, chopped
- Thyme 1 tbsp, chopped
- Red Wine 350 ml
- Redcurrant 2 tbsp, jelly
- Venison 4 loin medallions, each about 5cm
- Bacon 4, streaky
- Black peppercorns 2 tsp, crushed
- Green peppercorns 1 tbsp, crushed
- Pink peppercorns 1 tbsp, crushed
- Preparation time
- Cooking time
- Recipe category Main course
- Recipe yield 4
- Heat the oven to 200ºC (180º fan), gas 6.
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in pan and gently cook the shallots and garlic until soft but not brown.
- Add the thyme, red wine and redcurrant jelly, season with a little salt then simmer gently for about 20 minutes, stirring from time to time, or until the sauce is thick and syrupy.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in an ovenproof frying pan.
- Season the venison medallions with a little salt, sear quickly on all sides then wrap a bacon rasher around each one, securing each one with a cocktail stick.
- Mix the peppercorns together and press them into the top of each piece of venison.
- Transfer the pan to the oven for about 7 minutes or until the meat is cooked through but still pink in the middle.
- Remove the pan from the oven, remove the cocktail sticks, spoon the juices over the meat and set the pan aside to allow the meat to rest for about 5 minutes.
- Serve the venison loin steak on warmed plates with the red wine shallots alongside.