Yasuhiro Fujio: “I found a passion in cooking”
Yasuhiro Fujio, the young chef finalist from Japan, managed to defeat nine competitors in the regional heat of S.Pellegrino Young Chef 2018 with his stand out signature dish “Across the sea”.
As the chef from La Cime in Osaka prepares to travel halfway across the world to face off against 20 other finalists in Milan, he took some time out of his hectic schedule to speak to us and explain how he is preparing with mentor chef Luca Fantin.
1. Describe your signature dish …
Ayu is a kind of fish that tells you the environmental condition of its habitat by its flavor. Ayu can only live in the cleanest water and is very complex both in flavour and texture, and it feels just like eating earth. It is a precious ingredient that reminds us of the way of living “integration with nature” which has been in our soul since ancient times in Japan.
Yasuhiro Fujio signature dish "Across the sea"
2. What made you become a chef?
I didn’t find as much passion towards any other career as I did in cooking.
3. Who has influenced you in your career?
Chef Shinichi Sato (Passage 53, Paris) is one who introduced me the world of gastronomy, and chef Yusuke Takada (La Cime, Osaka) who brought me up as a chef from zero to where I am now.
4. Where do you see yourself in 5/10 years’ time?
For now, I am trying my best not to decide what I will be doing in a long run. All I can say is I would love to have a great family and a kid or two by then.
5. How are you/will you collaborate with your mentor, Luca Fantin, in order to perfect your dish for the Grand Finale?
We will communicate and prepare closely and go to Milan with the best dish we can produce.
6. What is the most exciting/challenging element of the S.Pellegrino Young Chef competition for you?
To be able to get to know like-minded chefs and top chefs around the globe.
7. Why do you think you can win the S.Pellegrino Young Chef 2018 title?
I will try to bring unique flavour and eating experiences to the judges.
8. If you weren’t a chef what would you be?
I really have no idea.
9. What’s your most memorable food experience?
Usual dinner at home with my family.
10. What do you like to do in your free time?
I like to read or watch films.
Yasuhiro Fujio during the local final