ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
A lovely recipe for scalloped potatoes, an elegant side dish of creamy potatoes perfect for any holiday meal.
- Preparation time
- Cooking time
- Recipe category Side
- Recipe yield 4
- Recipe cuisine American
1. Preheat the oven to 375F and grease a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
2. Thinly slice the potatoes and onions, if using.
3. Make the bechamel sauce as indicated below.
4. Mix the Parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, and room temperature butter in a small dish. Set aside.
4. Spread a few spoonfuls of bechamel sauce over the bottom of the casserole dish.
5. Layer the potatoes in an ornate manner. Sprinkle with the onions. Spread bechamel sauce over the potatoes. Repeat this process until the potatoes are gone.
6. Cover the casserole dish tightly with foil and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and spread with the Parmesan and buttered breadcrumb mixture.
7. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes until beautifully golden brown. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
For the bechamel sauce:
2. Place the butter in saucepan and let it melt.
3. Add the flour and stir it constantly for 1-2 minutes.
4. Add the milk to the pot, whisking it continuously. Continue to cook over a low flame for3-4 minutes until the sauce thickens. Turn off the heat, mix in the salt and pepper.