ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
Persian Eggplant and Tomato Salad is a very flavorful vegetarian dish. Follow the simple steps below to prepare this spicy recipe at home.
For the salad
- Eggplant 4 Persian, cut lengthways into 2 cm | 0.75
- Onion 1 red, thinly sliced
- Sugar 1 tsp, caster
- White vinegar 250 ml, distilled
- Olive oil 4 tbsp
- Halloumi 320 g, diced
- Zebra tomato 2 green, 2 red, cored and diced
- Russian tomato 8 small, cored and halved
- Sun Gold tomato 150 g
- Parsley 1 large bunch flat-leaf, leaves picked
- Pomegranate 1, halved
- Sesame seeds 3 tbsp
- Pepper black, freshly ground
For the dressing
- Preparation time
- Cooking time
- Recipe category Side
- Recipe yield 4
For the Persian eggplant and tomato salad
- Salt both sides of the eggplant slices and arrange on a plate lined with kitchen paper to drain.
- Place the onion in a small bowl and season with a little salt.
- Combine the sugar and vinegar in a small saucepan and warm over a medium heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Pour the vinegar over the onion slices and stir well to mix.
- Cover and set aside until needed.
- Preheat the grill to hot.
- Pat the eggplant slices dry and then brush both sides with olive oil. Season with a little salt and pepper and arrange on a grilling tray.
- Grill for 6-8 minutes, turning, until golden and charred on both sides.
- Remove from the grill and lift the eggplant slices onto a plate.
- Spread out the halloumi on the grilling tray and grill for 4-5 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden-brown. Remove from the grill.
- Combine the heirloom tomatoes, grilled eggplant and halloumi, pickled red onion, and parsley leaves in a large mixing bowl.
- Holding the pomegranate halves over the bowl, tap their backs firmly with a wooden spoon to release their seeds.
- Toss again with seasoning to combine thoroughly.
For the dressing
- Whisk together the lemon juice, honey, garlic, and za'atar spice mix in a small mixing bowl.
- Whisk in the olive oil in a slow, steady stream until you have a thickened, emulsified dressing.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add the dressing to the salad bowl and toss well to mix.
- Lift the salad into bowls and top with a sprinkle of sesame seeds before serving.