ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
Learn how to make juicy Swedish meatballs in a flavorful cream sauce served alongside boiled potatoes and zesty cucumber and onion salad with dill.
For the meatballs and sauce
- Recipe category Main course
- Recipe yield 1
How to prepare Swedish meatballs in creamy sauce
- Place the beef in a mixing bowl and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Scrunch together to thoroughly combine. Divide into meatballs, rolling between your palms to shape.
- Heat a large cast-iron pan over a moderate heat until very hot. Add the oil and then sear the meatballs until golden all over. Remove from the pan to a plate.
- Add the butter to the pan, letting it melt. Once melted, whisk in the cornflour and cook until a blonde roux forms, 2 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in the stock in a slow, steady stream followed by the cream. Bring the sauce to the boil and then reduce to a simmer until thickened, about 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in the soy sauce and dried herbs. Return the meatballs to the sauce, cover with a lid, and finish cooking over a low heat, until cooked through, about 10-15 minutes.
- When ready, serve the meatballs and sauce from the pan with potatoes and cucumber salad on the side, garnished with dill. Serve with some lingonberry jam.