ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
Here is an easy way to prepare a delicious Shepherd's Pie topped with crispy potatoes mash: check out the recipe below.
- Olive oil 1 tbsp
- Onion 1, chopped
- Carrot 2 large, peeled and finely diced
- Celery 2 sticks, peeled and finely diced
- Lamb 500 g, mince
- Worcestershire sauce 1 tsp
- Tomato 400 g, canned, chopped
- Lamb stock 400 ml, low-sodium
- Potato 1,05 kg, floury, peeled and diced
- Creme fraiche 2 tbsp, reduced-fat
- Lettuce 2 little gem, leaves separated
- Pepper black, freshly ground
- Preparation time
- Cooking time
- Recipe category Main course
- Recipe yield 4
How to make a tasty Shepherd's Pie
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan set over a medium heat until hot.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery, and a pinch of salt, sweating for 7 - 8 minutes until softened.
- Add the beef and brown well all over. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, chopped tomatoes, and lamb stock.
- Bring to a simmer, and then reduce the heat slightly, cooking uncovered for 30 - 40 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in a large saucepan of salted, boiling water until tender to the point of a knife; 18 - 22 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160° fan) | gas 4.
- Drain and leave to steam off for 2 - 3 minutes before mashing with the creme fraiche.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Season the lamb mince mixture with salt and pepper.
- Spoon into a baking dish and top with the mashed potato.
- Run the tines of a fork across the potato to create a few indents.
- Bake for 35 - 45 minutes until golden and crisp on top.
- Leave to stand for 5 minutes before serving with the lettuce.