ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
How to prepare a peking duck pancakes: it's a crispy Chinese delight, an easy peking duck recipe served on thin pancakes made from scratch.
For the duck
For the batter
- Preparation time
- Cooking time
- Recipe category Main course
- Recipe yield 4
- Recipe cuisine Chinese
To prepare this easy and step-by-step peking duck recipe, a crispy Chinese dish served on a pancake, you have to start with the duck. Here are all the preparation steps.
For the peking duck
1. Heat the oven to 170°C (150°C fan), gas 3.
2. Run the grated ginger around the cavity of the duck and rub inside and out with the salt.
3. Sprinkle the outside of the bird with the five-spice powder.
4. Put the duck on a rack in a deep roasting pan and roast in the oven for 1 1/2 hours.
5. Drain off the fat every half an hour or so, then turn up the oven to 200°C (180°C fan), gas 6 for about 20 minutes until the skin is brown and crispy.
For the peking duck pancakes
1. Put the flour and salt into a bowl and stir in the boiling water.
2. When it's cool enough to handle, knead on a floured board for about 10 minutes until you have a silky dough, then cover with a clean tea towel and rest for 30 minutes.
3. Knead the dough again for 5 minutes, roll into a sausage shape and cut into about 12 pieces.
4. Dip each piece in a little sesame oil and roll into circles about 10 cm diameter.
5. Brush a frying pan with the remaining sesame oil and heat.
6. Fry the pancakes in batches until just starting to take colour, stack between sheets of kitchen parchment and cover with a clean tea towel to keep warm.
To serve the peking duck
Shred the meat from the duck carcass.
Spread a little hoisin sauce on each pancake, add some peking duck and sprinkle with the shredded spring onions.
Tips: use ready made Chinese pancakes if required.