ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
An easy vegetarian Shepherd's pie recipe, meat-free version of the classic UK pie recipe: learn how to make a veggie Shepherd's pie with lentils and vegetables.
- Potato 300 g, floury, peeled and rinsed
- Onion 2, peeled and finely chopped
- Vegetable oil 2 tbsp
- Carrot 2, peeled and finely chopped
- Yellow bell pepper 1, rinsed, halved, cleaned and chopped
- Red bell pepper 1, rinsed, halved, cleaned and chopped
- Flour 1 tbsp
- Vegetable broth 250 ml
- Peas 100 g, (frozen) thawed
- Lentils 200 g, rinsed and drained
- Milk 75 ml, hot
- Butter to grease the dishes
- Cheddar 50 g, grated
- Preparation time
- Cooking time
- Recipe category Main course
- Recipe yield 4
Heat the oven to 200°C conventional / 180°C fan assisted / gas 6.
Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for around 25 minutes until soft.
Sweat the onions in hot oil, add the carrots and peppers and continue frying.
Dust with the flour and add the vegetable broth.
Stir in the peas and lentils and season with salt and pepper.
Drain and mash the potatoes, stir in the hot milk and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Grease the pie dishes with butter.
Spoon the lentil mixture into the dishes, top with mashed potato and scatter with cheese.
Bake in the middle of the oven for 30 minutes until golden brown.