ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
Duck confit is a typical French cured meat dish. Learn how to prepare it at home, and serve it with shallots and toasted bread.
- Preparation time
- Cooking time
- Recipe category Main course
- Recipe yield 4
- Recipe cuisine French
How to make duck confit with shallots
- Wash and dry the duck legs.
- Cut through the sinews to the bone below the calf on each leg, so that the meat can contract during cooking.
- Peel the shallots and leave them whole.
- Put the duck legs into a pan, add the shallots and season with salt.
- Crush the peppercorns in a mortar.
- Pick the leaves from the rosemary stalks.
- Add the honey, rosemary leaves and pepper to the duck and shallots. Mix well with your hands.
- Cover and marinate in a cool place overnight.
- Next day heat the oven to 200°C. Heat a little duck fat and brown the duck pieces on the skin side.
- Then add the shallots and sweat briefly with the duck pieces.
- Add the rest of the duck fat, so that the meat is covered.
- Put the pan in the bottom of the preheated oven for about 3 hours, until the meat is tender and nicely browned.
- To serve, toast the bread and put on plates.
- Put a piece of duck confit on each slice of bread, add a couple of shallots and serve.