ShareFacebook Twitter AddThis
Follow the easy steps below to prepare Bigos at home: this Polish pork and cabbage stew is a comforting and warming dish perfect for winter.
- Bacon 125 g, streaky, chopped
- Pork 500 g, shoulder or neck; cubed
- Onion 2, chopped
- Sausage 125 g, garlic, sliced
- White cabbage 750 g, shredded
- Mushrooms 125 g, mixed, halved or quartered
- Tomato 3 tbsp, puree
- Garlic 1 clove
- Caraway seeds 1 tsp
- Paprika 2 tsp
- Bay 1 leaf
- Stock 500 ml
- Marjoram 1 tbsp fresh, 1/2 tsp dried
- Preparation time
- Cooking time
- Recipe category Main course
- Recipe yield 4
- Recipe cuisine East European/Russian
How to make Polish Bigos pork and cabbage stew
- Fry the bacon to release the fat, then add the meat and brown on all sides.
- Add the onions, the sliced sausage and shredded cabbage and fry briefly, turning frequently.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan with the tomato puree, crushed garlic and seasonings.
- Add the stock.
- Scatter with fresh and dried marjoram, cover and cook over a medium heat for 40 minutes.
- Do not stir.
- Serve garnished with more fresh marjoram.